Senior Software Engineer (Data Platform)
What’s the role?
Elliptic is looking for an ambitious, passionate, hands-on technology leader to help expand our cutting-edge blockchain analysis platform. As the Engineering Manager for our Data Platform, we expect you to have both strong coding abilities and a passion for developing a high-performing team comprised of engineers, data scientists, and data analysts.
You will drive forward the design and development of our core systems while building a positive team culture where you are supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people.
We leverage open source technologies but have also written our own high-performance in-memory data pipelines and analytics engine. This is an area you will be actively involved in developing.
What you’ll do:
Overall you will collaborate with engineers and data scientists to develop high performance, flexible data pipelines, visualisations, and analytical systems.
- Immerse yourself in blockchain - how it works and the various services that use them
- Guide the technical implementation of our data harvesting, curation, and analytics systems
- Help make architectural decisions (and implement them!)
- Research, prototype, and recommend new technologies and frameworks
- Lead and develop a team of engineers and data scientists - taking care of hiring, onboarding, mentoring, career development, and performance management
What is the work like? What are the challenges?
From an engineering point-of-view the biggest challenges are:
- Balancing high-performance data processing with flexible querying and auditability
- Ensuring a single source of truth and a robust ontology for recording facts about participants on the blockchain
- Keeping track of downstream impacts of changes to the data platform
- Staying on top of blockchain developments, forks, etc. that could affect our systems
- 7+ years industry experience with core Java and other relevant languages
- 4+ years technical management experience
- Strong CS fundamentals, including good working knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and concurrency.
- A passion for developing and mentoring team members
- Highly developed technical and people troubleshooting skills
- Expertise with data pipelines and modeling for analytic scenarios (SQL, NoSQL, Graph databases)
- Rigor in engineering best-practices and devops
- Proficiency with Linux
- A fast learner with enthusiasm for learning new technologies and applying them appropriately (avoiding one-size-fits all solutions)
- Track record in building incredible engineering teams
- Been actively involved in working with Product Managers to set priorities
- Excellent communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Exposure to real-time analytics and big data technologies (e.g. Spark, GraphX, Hadoop, Akka, ELK, etc.)
- Experience with graph databases (e.g. Neo4j)
- Familiarity with DevOps tools (e.g. Docker, Ansible, Hashicorp, Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience deploying to cloud infrastructure
- Appetite for discussions about economics, money, identity and privacy
- Interest in cryptocurrencies